What has happened to the Democratic Party? I was brought up in a Democrat household in a mostly Democrat area. Back then it was the party of FDR, Truman and Kennedy. But I look at the party now and am incredulous at the changes. The following are my observations as I look at the Democratic Party of today:
- In order to be a Democrat today you have to tell yourself that the president must be defeated because, in your view, he has colluded with Russia and that’s a bad thing, but have no problem with an avowed Socialist who has expressed admiration for Communist dictators.
- In order to be a Democrat today you have to insist that environmental science is not debatable but the science of human development is. You have to tell yourself that the child in the womb is not human and, in some circumstances, even after it is born.
- In order to be a Democrat today you must believe that record low unemployment for minorities is a bad thing because, in the words of Congressman James Clyburn (D-S.C.), African Americans “were fully employed during slavery.”
- In order to be a Democrat today you must believe that killing a terrorist who was responsible for killing hundreds of Americans and many others is a bad thing. But the deliberate killing of Americans by drone strikes without due process during the Obama administration was not a problem.
- In order to be a Democrat today you must believe that a phone call between President Trump and the Ukraine president is grounds for impeachment, even after the transcript of the call was released.
- In order to be a Democrat today you must believe that President Trump was not exonerated during the impeachment trial because the verdict was not what the Democrat Party leaders wanted. Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer howled that it was not a “fair trial.” The last I knew, the Constitution guarantees a fair trial to the defendant, in this case President Trump, not to the prosecution.
- In order to be a Democrat today you must believe that keeping more of your hard-earned money is a bad thing; that the government knows best how to spend your money.
- In order to be a Democrat today you must believe that being on welfare and food stamps is preferable to a having a job.
- In order to be a Democrat today you must believe that under a Sanders or Warren administration, healthcare would be totally free, college would be free, and any outstanding student loans would be forgiven. Neither one has satisfactorily explained where the money would come from.
- In order to be a Democrat today you must believe that the Southern border should be wide open, even during the threat of a global pandemic.
- In order to be a Democrat today you must believe that capitalism is evil even though it has brought more people out of poverty than any other system.
- In order to be a Democrat today you must believe that oil is evil even though it is the life-blood of our economy. For the first time ever, under President Trump we are now energy independent.
I realize that there are many rank-and-file Democrats who do not do not recognize themselves in the above observations. I would encourage them to take a long hard look at today’s Democratic Party. I know it’s not easy to break away from something you have supported your entire life and I’m not advocating for the Republican Party, which certainly has its warts. But it’s not your parents’ Democratic Party anymore.
Madeline Sanchez is a nurse with over 30 years experience. She retired from the Air Force Reserve after 22 years, with the rank of major. She resides with her husband in La Mesa, NM.
More from Madeline Sanchez:
Read or Share this story: https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/opinion/2020/03/01/dems-today-hardly-resemble-fdr-truman-kennedy/4908573002/
Credit: Source link